A judge on Thursday gave a South Jersey couple less than a day to hand over what's left of the $400,000 they raised through a GoFundMe campaign for Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless man who last fall gave the woman his last $20 to help her out in a pinch.
They deny the claims, saying they gave him some cash and bought him a truck and a camper.
"The irreparable harm will be if they spend any more of Mr. Bobbitt's money or, as Mr. D'Amico claimed, he'll burn the money before giving it to Mr. Bobbitt", said attorney for Johnny Bobbitt, Christopher Fallon.
On August 30, the trio appeared in court, where Superior Court Judge Paula T. Dow ordered McClure and D'Amico to transfer the remaining amount of money into an escrow account within 24 hours, which will be controlled by Bobbitt's pro bono attorneys. It raised more than $400,000 in funds donated by more than 14,000 people.
"They took time out of their own schedules, their own jobs, brought him to rehab centers... gave him cash on a daily basis", he said. D'Amico said he was kicked out in June and went through $25,000 given to him in a week due to drug issues.
Ms McClure and Mr D'Amico have repeatedly denied any wrongdoing or misusing any of the money. According to the BBC, Bobbitt's lawyers alleged the couple only spent $75,000 helping him, while the couples' lawyer said there's only $150,000 left. Along with demanding that the pair provide a full account of where the money was spent, the judge ordered any and all remaining money to be given to Bobbitt.More news: British-Iranian woman returns to Tehran jail after extension refused
During an appearance on United States television on Monday, D'Amico revealed there is well over $150,000 left of the donations.
Bobbitt, a North Carolina native, "had no access to money or food" while living in the camper, Promislo said.
Representatives for McClure, D'Amico and Bobbitt did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.
"I think it might have been good intentions in the beginning", Bobbitt told the Inquirer last week. This begs the question: Where did the rest of the money go?
Amid the backlash, McClure and D'Amico said on "Megyn Kelly Today" earlier this week that they welcomed Bobbitt into their family and tried to help him. "I didn't want to be pressuring to get a lawyer or do anything because I didn't want to seem ungrateful", Bobbitt told Philadelphia TV station ABC6 after the ruling.
"This is a well thought out plan that Johnny his lawyer and financial advisor came up with in order to give Johnny the means to acclimate back into a "normal" life and also to protect him and ensure he has a bright future", McClure wrote.
He told the Philadelphia Inquirer last week that despite claims the couple had spent half the donations on caring for him, Bobbitt hasn't received anything that could total that sum of money.