Samsung Galaxy Note 9 explodes inside woman\'s purse in NY


A Samsung Galaxy Note 9 spontaneously caught fire inside a NY woman's purse earlier this month, according to a lawsuit.

In a lawsuit filed by real estate agent Diane Chung in the Queens Supreme Court, the Long Island woman described an incident she claims took place on September 3 while she was alone in the elevator of a building in Bayside, Queens. After which she noticed smoke coming out of her purse.

She quickly put her phone on the elevator floor, the lawsuit read, and tried emptying it but the phone burned her fingers as she grabbed it. She said the phone was still burning until a good samaritan picked it up and dropped it into a bucket of water.

More news: Worries about fate of NAFTA hit Detroit's Canadian neighbors

Samsung sent out invitations Friday for an October 11 event to launch a new mobile device under its Galaxy line.

Even if the affected Samsung customer has already filed a complaint: Of course, nothing has been proven, especially not a general problem with the Galaxy Note 9 and its rechargeable battery. If Samsung's new Galaxy Note 9 suffers the same fate as Note 7, the company might have to consider discontinuing the entire line-up. We're talking about Samsung's latest flagship phablet: the highly rated Galaxy Note 9, which just went on sale last month.

Chung calls the experience "traumatic" in her lawsuit, adding that the fire left her unable to contact clients and ruined everything in her bag. That said, it also crammed in its largest battery so far, paired wit the fastest mobile processor in the market this year. This is the first time that Samsung has used a 4,000 mAh battery in Galaxy Note series. According to the New York Post, the company is reportedly investigating into the matter, though it has yet to be informed of similar cases of the Galaxy Note 9 catching fire. Until Samsung comes out with its report, it's hard to say whether we are looking at a flaw in the battery or the incident is due to some external reasons.