Dawson to face murder charge back in NSW


Fresh statements from at least two witnesses led to Dawson's arrest on the Gold Coast on Wednesday morning over the suspected murder of his wife in early 1982.

However, police on Wednesday said the arrest followed three years of renewed investigations.

Journalist Hedley Thomas hosted the true-crime podcast "The Teacher's Pet", which investigated the disappearance of Lynette Dawson, an Australian woman who went missing in 1982.

The case is the subject of an investigative podcast series The Teacher's Pet which has uncovered new evidence about the disappearance of Lyn Dawson from Sydney's northern beaches in January 1982.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said the brief of evidence would rely mostly on information discovered by police, but confirmed media interest in the case had resulted in new evidence.

"They were predominantly statements from witnesses that helped us to pieces of the puzzle is together", he said.

Mr Fuller said finding Ms Dawson's remains was "not crucial to finalising the matter", however investigators had not given up hope of doing so.

Lyn Dawson's family are seeking privacy at this time, but are relieved.

An application for bail was refused by Queensland magistrate Dennis Kinsella and Dawson was taken into custody of NSW detectives.

The commander of the NSW homicide squad, Detective Superintendent Scott Cook, said he was "confident" in the case.

More news: Priyanka and Nick Jonas get married in a ceremony in Jodhpur

Mr Dawson's family released a statement yesterday, insisting he would be found not guilty. Inquests previously recommended murder charges against a known suspect, though prosecutors decided there was insufficient evidence.

The magistrate has denied Dawson's bail plea, turning him over to NSW Police.

Police are reportedly looking into chartering their own flight to get Mr Dawson back to NSW.

He has said that she abandoned the family for a religious group.

After his wife's disappearance he moved one of his 16-year-old pupils into his house and they would later marry.

"We're certainly hoping an interview with this 70-year-old man who's now in custody in Queensland will assist us with the outcome of where the body may be".

In 2015, New South Wales Police's Strike Force Striven was established to reinvestigate the case.

"We've had a cry, we've cuddled, we're just completely over the moon that something has finally happened".

In September investigators spent nearly a week digging up the Dawsons' former Bayview home but found no human remains and no significant clues.

"We have to also ensure Chris gets due process".