Nissan plans to file for damages against Ghosn

Share

The vehicle manufacturers said Ghosn was paid by a Netherlands-based joint venture without the knowledge of Nissan chief executive Hiroto Saikawa or Mitsubishi boss Osamu Masuko. The probe did not find any other misconduct involving Ghosn at Mitsubishi Motors and its affiliate companies, it said.

But Ghosn is also facing a wave of other allegations over suspect payments, including a claim by Nissan today that he received almost eight million euros in "improper payments" from a Netherlands-based joint venture.

The 64-year-old was denied bail earlier this week after being accused of under-reporting his salary and passing personal investment losses to Nissan.

Ghosn is chairman and CEO of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, the automotive collaboration of France's Groupe Renault, Japan's Nissan Motors and Mitsubishi Motors.

Kei Umebayashi, the lawyer who led the probe at Mitsubishi Motors, said that the testimonies during interviews with people concerned found that Ghosn created the venture for the objective of receiving illegal remuneration.

"Under that contract, he received a total of 7,822,206.12 euros (including tax) in compensation and other payments of NMBV funds", Nissan said, citing an ongoing investigation into alleged wrongdoing by Ghosn.

Saikawa and Masuko say they were unaware of Ghosn's pay, and that they received no allowances from the joint venture.

More news: Cadillac Tapped Into The Club Of Electric Vehicle Manufacturers

The latest findings may further pressure Renault into dismissing Ghosn as its CEO and chairman at a board meeting it is expected to convene soon.

A Tokyo court rejected Thursday another appeal by lawyers of Nissan's former chairman Carlos Ghosn to have him released on bail.

The French state is Renault's biggest shareholder, owning a 15-per cent stake.

Tokyo prosecutors indicted Ghosn for alleged aggravated breach of trust as well as underreporting his compensation from Nissan.

He asserted his innocence in court last week, his first public appearance since the arrest.

His lawyers requested bail on January 11, but the court rejected it four days later saying he is a flight risk and that he may destroy evidence.

The French government on Wednesday called for former Nissan Chief Carlos Ghosn (pic), who has spent the last two months in Japanese custody, to be replaced as chief executive of carmaker Renault.

Share