50 dead in terror attack at New Zealand mosques

Share

Outside a meeting between authorities and victims' relatives about the burial arrangements, a large group of Bangladeshis held up signs with the words "Please help us find Zakaria Bhuiyan" and "How long do we have to wait now?".

In the manifesto, Tarrant identifies himself as "European" rather than as an Australian citizen and wrote that he grew up in the small working-class community in Grafton, located more than 300 miles northeast of Sydney.

Tarrant was not known to the authorities, Bush said, and had no previous convictions.

Islamic custom dictates that the dead should be buried within 24 hours, but strained authorities, desperate to make sure no mistakes are made or the complex investigation harmed, said a quick process was hard.

New Zealand's prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, has already foreshadowed a review of what was known - or should have been known - about the behaviour of Brenton Tarrant.

"It is the expectation that all bodies will be returned to families by Wednesday", she told reporters, adding that six disaster recognition experts from Australia were helping out with the identification process. One person died in hospital.

As New Zealanders flocked to memorial sites to lay flowers and mourn the victims, testimony emerged of epic heroism, harrowing suffering and incredible grace.

A 28-year-old Australian man, a suspected far-right extremist who posted a manifesto detailing his anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim views, was charged with murder in a New Zealand court Saturday.

However he cautioned: "I will not be saying anything conclusive until we are absolutely convinced as to how many people were involved". "The best thing is forgiveness, generosity, loving and caring, positivity".

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said Brenton Tarrant will "certainly face the justice system of New Zealand for the terrorist attack that he has committed here".

Among the wounded, two were in critical condition, including a four-year-old child, said Police Commissioner Mike Bush.

Christchurch mosque shooting Christchurch terror attack New zealand attack Mosque attack suspect Australian man charged with murder Christchurch mosque suspect chraged world news Indian express

Fifty people were killed and 50 injured in what is New Zealand's worst attack.

At least 49 people have died, seven at Linwood Masjid Mosque and 41 at Masjid Al Noor Mosque.

President Donald Trump, who has a record of Islamophobic rhetoric, online behavior and policies, tweeted out his "warmest sympathy and best wishes" to the people of New Zealand.

The number of dead and injured could have been higher, were it not for people like Afghan refugee Abdul Aziz.

The tragic incident in two mosques was condemned throughout the world. "He just swore at me and took off".

Mosques across the country were advised to shut down following the March 14 terror attack, which shook the global community.

Tarrant, of New South Wales, obtained a gun license in November 2017 and started buying the weapons he used Friday about a month later, Ardern said.

He allegedly used five weapons, including two semi-automatic weapons and two shotguns, which had been modified.

However Ardern was very clear that New Zealand's gun laws would change in the wake of the massacre - the same message she has reiterated over and over since hours after the first shots were fired.

Meanwhile after days of lockdowns, security warnings and fear, police have urged Kiwis to go back to their normal business.

In a statement, Sunday, Chief Executive of Canterbury District Health Board David Meates said that two patients had been discharged late on Saturday, and a further two are expected to be well enough to return home on Sunday.

More news: Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman charged in wild college admissions cheating scheme

Share