Congo Ebola epidemic exceeds 1000 cases: health ministry

Share

Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, told reporters shortly afterward the Fore-Lowcock presentation that the World Health Organization has now tallied more than 1,000 cases in northern DRC since the outbreak was declared in August 2018. The death toll, meanwhile, has reached 629.

In a statement from the International Rescue Committee (IRC), which is helping 59 facilities in the outbreak region with infection control and working to protect women and children, Tariq Riebl, IRC's Emergency Response Director in the DRC, said the 58 cases recorded in the last week show an alarming spike in activity. "'This outbreak has gone on far too long"..." Earlier this month, militants attacked a treatment center in the city of Butembo in North Kivu, killing a police officer and injuring health workers. The United States also pulled out its government employees last summer.

"The Ebola outbreak in Congo has sadly spread to Ituri province marking 1,000 cases". Dozens of armed groups stage attacks, disrupting humanitarian work and exacerbating the ongoing outbreak. Three Ebola centers have been attacked in addition to Thursday's report. "Despite this, CDC will continue to work 24/7 with our partners in DRC, in DRC's neighboring countries, and around the world to prevent the spread of Ebola and bring this outbreak to an end". The organization reported that over 96,000 people have been vaccinated and those are eligible to receive immunization accept it.

More news: Trump to recognize Golan as Israel's territory Monday

Until now, no cases have crossed global borders, according to WHO. "We need redoubled support from the worldwide community, and a commitment to push together to bring this outbreak to an end".

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) has said it may take Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) six more months to exterminate Ebola following the outbreak which was reported a year ago in August.

Share